Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Jacob!!


Hard to believe it's been 365 days since we were introduced to our adorable, wonderful son, but it has! I clearly remember meeting him for the very first time, feeding him formula as his Mom recovered, holding him in my arms, and then the sheer elation I experienced as I handed him to Becki and to finally be together as a family. All wonderful memories that come flooding back one year later. I also remember thinking how tiny he was, and that I would never want him to grow up, but that we had plenty of time for all that.

And, yet, here we are at the milestone of his first birthday. I'm afraid to blink, lest I miss his first words (which, I'm convinced, will either be "Gators" or "moose"!), his first "real" steps, potty training, his first fishing experience, his first date, or graduating college!

Wow, does time fly...
Son, when you read this someday, I want you to know how profoundly you've changed the lives of your mother and I. We are so proud of you and count each minute we are allowed to spend with you as sheer joy. You have brought us such an incredibly wide range of emotions over your first year...from unbridled happiness to unmitigated worry and, yes, even sheer terror (though you won't remember your first ambulance ride, I'll always have it burned into my brain; ask me about it later!). You are truly a gift from the Lord above and I am absolutely humbled to be your Dad.

Happy First Birthday, Son!

To my own Dad: I don't say it often enough, but this year has taught me what an incredible father and person you are, and I love you very much. To have this experience gives me the utmost respect and adulation for you, and I pray that I can be half the father you were for me. Thank you for providing a shining example for me to follow as I raise my own son...and soon to be children!

No comments: