Sunday, September 21, 2008

on 1 Chronicles 14:14-17...

Note: Here's another entry from my journal as I continue to read through Seth Barnes' The Art of Listening Prayer.


"And once again, David asked God what to do...so David did what God commanded, and he struck down the Philistine army. So David's fame spread everywhere, and the Lord caused all the nations to fear David."

What a fascinating concept David illustrates here. He asks questions of God as though He were sitting at the table with him, right there. And God answers. Rather than procrastinate or make excuses, David acts...and, of course, is successful. It's interesting to note that, in verse 17, it was David who got the glory. I wonder if he even wanted it? Nevertheless, it's clear that God orchestrated the whole thing, and communicated this to David.

Lord, I wish I had the heart of David. I wish I had the courage to ask You questions and to expect an answer. I say I do, but I don't really think I am doing that. I know You're trying to speak to me now, God...please let me be still enough to listen! I doubt this whole "dialogue" thing so much, but I know it works, because I can see the fruit of it in others' lives. Father, please cast my doubt aside!

Was yesterday one of those days where Your voice was shouting at me? Mark Balmer of Calvary Chapel took a break from his current sermon series on Exodus--the one week we decided to go and check the church out--and speak on a subject that's been on my mind and heart quite often lately: living desperately for Jesus. He referenced Luke 9:1-11, where Jesus sends His disciples out to do His work. He tells them not to take much--nothing, really--with them, in an effort to leave their "comfort zone" behind and trust fully in His provisioning. Basically, abandoning all to Him.

Are you telling me something here, Lord? Can this be mere coincidence? Or am I reading more into this than is actually there? God, I've heard You say to me the last few weeks that You have great and wonderful things planned for me. What does that look like? Do I have the faith to step out and let You lead completely? Why do I doubt You? Show me, God, what You would have me do!! Lord, like David, give me the faith to act on it...for Your glory, Father!!

No comments: