Saturday, September 20, 2008

back from a blogging break...

Well, I really didn't think I would let that much time go by, but I look up and see that it's been a solid two weeks since I posted! I don't have a great excuse for not keeping up with things here; truth be told, I simply haven't felt like writing lately. What's strange is, I have thoughts that go through my head that I'll think I should write about (and, of course, these thoughts occur when I'm away from my laptop), but I never get around to it sometimes. That's been amplified these last couple of weeks, for some reason.

I did switch my schedule at work, to a night shift, so maybe that's got something to do with it. Right now I'm getting home between 11pm and midnight on the weekdays and, no matter how much I may want to, I haven't gotten up as early as I've planned to. Which eats into my "creative" time (for me, the mornings). Anyway, no matter what, welcome back. Thanks for sticking with me.

Here are a few things going on in my (our) life recently:

- College Football is back. Thank goodness. I won't spend much time here on this subject (although I do love to write about it--maybe another, separate blog is in order?) except to say I'm thrilled to have something other than baseball and golf to watch on Saturdays. I'm giving a bigger welcome back to the NFL, too, than I normally would, simply because of my involvement in several Fantasy Football teams. I told you about this several weeks ago, if you'll remember. Turns out I went a little overboard--I've got 3 NFL teams and a college team and, frankly, it's really hard to keep track of all of them. I'm concentrating on just one more than the others, so we'll see what happens. So far the results have not been good. Note to self: just one team next year. Please.

- We will be buying a new car soon (like in the next few days). For those of you who get our family update emails, you know that both of our cars are getting into retirement age. We actually had a bunch of work done to the Kia, but still feel like it's time to move on. God has richly blessed us by providing the funds to go do this, so we'll be buying a "new to us" car--probably a minivan--soon and selling our other two. We looked at a really nice Chrysler Town & Country the other day and made what I thought was a very fair offer, but the guy said no way, even though it's been sitting with no action for three months. I was kind of bummed about that, as I thought for sure it was a done deal. Oh, well, just means God's got something else in store for us!

- Jacob's first tooth is starting to come in. Accordingly, Mommy and Daddy's sleep has started to erode away! Actually, it hasn't been too bad. He's a tough kid and faring pretty well. Hard to believe he's 8 months old already!

- The IRS finally came through. As I wrote about here, our economic stimulus check was massively late. Well, it finally came. Needless to say, it made a quick entrance into and exit from our bank account, as we really needed it. And there's actually good news from this whole thing. Last week we got notice that, somehow, we had overpaid our taxes and would be getting an actual refund of around $1200 in about six weeks or so! Now, based on what I know of the IRS, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach on this...so, if it does indeed come, it will be a nice bonus. But whatever happens getting an IRS envelope is usually not a pleasant thing, so the fact we don't owe anymore is big. Again, I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: