Friday, October 24, 2008

debating the race...

Note: This post was actually written several weeks ago, which is why you may be confused by some of the references to time in it. I prayed and thought long and hard about posting this, mainly because I don't want to come off as arrogant or ignorant (both of which I have tremendous capability of being!). The following represents a bit of a simplicity in politics, I know, but, what can I say: I'm a simple man.

Anyway, enjoy. And don't rake me too much across the coals should you decide to leave a comment. Thanks.


The second (and, I think, last) Presidential Debate is on tonight. I'm not watching it. I started out this year with the grandest of intentions; to really dig deep, get inside the candidates' heads and figure out their stance on the issues important to me. I've watched history unfold as we've seen the first African-American Presidential candidate accept his party's nomination. Even if he doesn't win, we'll still mark a historic moment with the first woman Vice President ever to be elected to office. It was my hope that, with the "change" that Barack Obama has been talking about, and the folksiness that Sarah Palin exhibits, there would be a clean, honest, insightful race to the White House.

I've been dissapointed. I guess my expectations are just too high. Maybe it's just me, but I've yet to hear from either candidate real, solid answers for dealing with the avalanche of challenges and issues we all are facing in the United States of America today. Instead, well, it's more of the same. "Barack did this, or didn't do that." "McCain is George Bush reincarnated." Finger pointing. Mud flinging. Attacking character. Name-calling.

I realize here that I'm supposed to, as a "conservative", "good" Christian (as opposed, I guess, to a "bad" Christian?), place all of the blame in the Obama camp and wave my flag for McCain/Palin. But that just wouldn't be correct. Unfortunately, one side is as bad as the other. We were just talking last night about McCain's promise that the last few days of his campaign would be focused squarely on sullying Obama's character. Which, to me, serves to distract us from the flaws in his own character.
So, let me be clear here: I'm equally disgusted with the Republican campaign as I am with the Democrats fight.

I just simply don't get why we can't have someone who will run on the basis of what he intends to do for our country's problems rather than what the other guy will/will not/did/did not do. And I understand that this--the attacking of the other guy--is how it's "always" been done. But that doesn't make it right, does it? Hopefully you can tell the internal struggle I have with all of this.

Just once, I'd love to have someone stand up and say, "Well, Dan, I don't know how my fellow American over there, the gentleman I am in competition with, would answer that--you'll have to ask him and work out the details with him--but here's how I would tackle that problem." Of course, I get that this is a "perfect world" scenario. But, still, a guy can dream, can't he?

So, I guess I've got just a few weeks to figure this all out. For the record, I'm almost certain I will go with McCain in the voting booth--there are just too many things that scare me about having Obama in the Oval Office--but I have to confess I'm not real confident about either of these men. Or their running mates (although I do honestly like Sarah Palin, and, actually, Joe Biden seems like a nice guy, too).
And that brings me to one last point.

Wouldn't it be nice to have more than two choices for this important election? I watched a few minutes of a speech from Ron Paul this morning in which he pointed out this flaw in our two-party system. Basically, it was never designed to be a two-party system. In that, Americans lose the ability to select who they believe would best run the country and, instead, vote for the "lesser-of-two-evils". Honestly, that's what I will be doing.
I wish it wasn't that way, but it is. Whatever happens, though, I put my trust in Jesus. To many Christians are up-in-arms over this election (and, frankly, politics in general) when they should be focusing on their need to follow Jesus' call. After all, Jesus said his kingdom would not come through the politics of men. Jesus--and those who followed Him while He was on this earth--changed the world around them not by employing political or economic movements. Instead, they rolled up their sleeves and went to work helping anyone who would talk with them, investing in the lives of everyone they met. I wonder why we think that it's different today?

Whatever happens, though...remember to pray for our leaders. Whoever they may be.

No comments: