Wednesday, October 15, 2008

frankie say "relax"...

Seriously, folks, chill out!

From a "worldly" standpoint, I suppose there is plenty to be worried about today. We have a critical election coming up in just a couple of weeks. Some people I've spoken to (both in and out of the Christian community) believe either nirvana or Armageddon is coming, depending on who they're opposed to in the election. Meanwhile, to listen to the experts out there (read: "media pundits") we are going through the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. Which may or may not be true.

But that brings me to my point. Should we, as Christ-followers, be as worried as we are? I have Christian friends taking the above two points so seriously that they can barely sleep at night. I've actually heard others say that if Obama's elected President, they're moving to Canada (which we hear every election, but, still...). Is it right to get so wrapped up in all of this that we forget that our Heavenly Father is in complete control?

Don't get me wrong here--I'm not advocating being completely apathetic to politics or the economy. In fact, I believe it's important to stay involved in the political process and make your vote count. And who doesn't want to know where our money's going? When it comes to that, though, I'm always reminded of how God showed the Isrealites the scope of His care on a daily basis...He provided more than they needed, but did it day-by-day. I guess He was asking them not to look ahead, but to trust Him for each day's needs. I would assume it's the same today.

I have alot more to say about this, but I'll let my blog buddy Seth Barnes take it from here. He's got a fantastic entry on this very subject here. Enjoy.

No comments: