Friday, July 25, 2008

California Vacation 2008: Day 2


When I planned today's visit to Yosemite National Park in my head, there were three things that I was anticipating that didn't actually happen:

1. An early start and a 10am or so entrance to the park.

2. Lots of hiking.

3. A sense of accomplishment, knowing that we had seen at
least most of what we wanted to.

Because this is a vacation, we're not on a particular schedule for now, and, let's face it, these things happen, none of those
things really happened. Oh, yeah, we were blown away with the awesome things we saw, but I definitely left the park this afternoon with a sense that there was much, much more to see. In fact, after only 5 minutes of driving through the front gate, I remarked to Becki that we needed to make plans to come back and stay for several days. The place is simply awe-inspiring and I have no idea how--or why--I didn't manage to see it up close and personal on so many trips out here. Rather than describe the awesome sights to you, I thought I'd share our views through the many pictures we took.

Special thanks go out to Jacob and Candace Tallmon, Becki's cousin and wife, who met us for lunch and proceeded to tour us around. Here are the highlights of what we saw:


1. Bridalveil Falls











2. El Capitan












3. Yosemite Falls












4. The Ahwanee Hotel









5. Half Dome










Our plans for Friday were to include getting up early and driving from Becki's aunt and uncle's house (where we bedded Thursday night), but, after the 2+ hour drive from the park to their house along winding mountain roads, we've rethought that plan and will instead head to the coast, where we'll do some sightseeing before gathering with Becki's family for their annual campout/reunion. Because we will most definitely be out of range of any kind of internet access until Monday, I will post then.


1 comment:

Steve and Correna said...

Okay so two things...

1. I love Becki's hair short like that!

2. I really had to laugh of your unique (or Becki's unique) way of a soother :).