Saturday, July 19, 2008

a milestone...

So, I finally completed one of my long-time goals this week. For the past 18 months or so, I've been slowly but steadily reading through the entire Bible, and I finally finished that this week. This may not sound like a huge accomplishment, but I'm really proud of myself for sticking to my goal, as it's one I've started and given up on many times throughout my adult life.

I feel like I've been at a buffet while I've been doing this. You know, just picking and choosing, not really paying too much attention to content, but trying to make sure you get your money's worth by loading up your plate? I've tried to keep my eye on the goal of simply reading, with the understanding that I will go back and really dig into stuff later on. Every time I've come across a pasage I wanted to study further, I would note it with a post-it flag for further reflection later on. I've got dozens of said flags in my Bible right now. If you are a regular reader of my blog, you've seen posts on some of these passages already, and you should be prepared to see more in the future as I go back and study more.

If the past 18 months have been a buffet, the next few are going to feel like a gourmet meal! Seriously, I feel like, now that I've gotten a taste of everything on the table, I can take the time to go back and truly savor the "meat" of what I've been reading. I'm really, really looking forward to it...and also excited to share it with my readers.

No comments: