Monday, August 11, 2008

nice job, irs

So, here I am this lovely Monday morning sitting on hold with the IRS. So far it's been almost an hour. The reason for my call? I just want to chat. Well, not really. We still haven't received our "Economic Stimulus" check. Sure, we got the notice in the mail that it should be sent by July 4, but when the middle of July came and went, well, I made a call. Had to get on the phone early (they open at 7am) to just get in the queue, and got in after only 5 minutes. One of their helpful, cheerful agents (that was sarcastic, by the way) told me that the check was "hung up" but that it should be sent by the end of July. She had no other details other than that. I wondered at the time how she could have the information on the fact it was "hung up" but not know why, but, whatever, we needed the money, so just send it to me.

Anyway, here we sit on August 11 and nothing still. I don't need to tell most of you that, on a single income, a $1000+ check is a nice bonus and, in our case, we've been counting on it. Especially since they've told us to expect it. So, on the phone I sit.

Still waiting...

I'm struck by the irony that, had I been this late paying my taxes, the IRS would have been all over me...with interest and penalties, to boot. I wonder why it doesn't work the other way? Hmmm...

9:48am: Success! I'm on the phone with a very helpful and nice (seriously) Miss Blackledge, who says our delay is due to us owing, despite the fact we paid in full. It's a shame her position will be eliminated once Fair Tax is passed, but I digress. Supposedly she is "releasing" the hold on our check, and it should be here within two or three weeks. Sigh. We'll see.

At 10:02, my call is done. I miss the charming hold music.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tripp,
This is Nicole, Tom's assistant here at Children's HopeChest. I just read over your review of "Red Letters". Glad you liked it. I was wondering if you knew Seth Barnes or Tom? I went to Africa two summers ago with my family and met up with the Barnes' there. Thanks for reading and reviewing the book. For the Fatherless, Nicole nirwin@hopechest.org