Wednesday, June 18, 2008

weekend review...my first Father's Day!


Hard to believe it's been a full year since Becki and I discovered she was pregnant. And how cool that it coincides with Father's Day! (Which means I just missed it last year...if only she had tested just a few days earlier, I could've scored more gifts. Oh, well...)

Anyway, had a very nice day on Sunday. Spent the whole afternoon at my in-laws, where we gathered, along with my brother-in-law, Brent, and his family, and my folks for lunch and cards. It was a lot of fun to have us all together again, and I'm looking forward to doing it again this weekend for Becki's 35th birthday.

Earlier in the morning, Becki and Jacob woke me up and presented me with my very first Father's Day card, pictured above. As I understand it, the little guy had a bit of help from Mommy and some of her friends...but it's still darn impressive, ya gotta admit! I'm really proud of it, and, as always, I am so thrilled to be a Daddy!

Because I had to work on Monday, it was a rather short weekend, so, other than the Father's Day festivities, nothing much went on.

However, here is what's been on my mind lately:

- Just got back from a trip to Barnes & Noble. My folks gave me a gift card to reward me for all my hard work as a new Father, so I went and spent some time picking out a few good books for the summer. They're all along the theme of completely abandoning ourselves to Jesus, something that's been really capturing my heart lately. Here's what I got:

- Searching for God knows what by Donald Miller
- Desire by John Eldredge
- The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian D. McLaren

I'm really excited about diving into these, and I'll be giving a full report after I'm done.

- Speaking of abandoning to God, I've been spending quite a bit of time over at Seth Barnes' site lately. Seth is the founder of Adventures in Missions, which, among other things, facilitates short-term missions trips to South America, Africa, etc. I'm absolutely positive I will be writing much more about this in the near future, as I believe God is starting to stir something up in me with regards to this, but, for now, spend some time looking around his sites. Very thought-provoking, poignant, and, most of all, challenging.

- OK, NBA, I really tried. Lakers-Celtics in the Finals seemed like the perfect way to draw my interest back to you. After all, I spent much of my early teens watching Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, Kevin McHale and the gang take on Magic, Worthy, and Kareem in epic battles at the old (and better) Garden in Boston and the old (and better) Forum in LA. So it was natural to at least hope for something similar this time.

No dice. I spent maybe five minutes watching the whole thing. Today's game is way too glitzy and "me" oriented for me to care much. I just couldn't do it. I guess I'm glad that Boston won it all, but, to be honest, I couldn't really care less.

Oh, and if you expect those of us who have a passing interest to tune in to watch, maybe it would be a good thing to start scheduling games where us "regular" folks can watch it...as opposed to 9pm every night (including two Sundays where tipoff in the afternoon would have been welcomed with open arms). Even with a start time 2 hours earlier it would be a hard decision whether to watch...but a later start makes the decision easy for me. So, uh, thanks.

- I can't help but think this Tiger Woods kid will be pretty good someday. As much as I love golf, I don't watch too much of it (it's not really a great sport to follow on TV), except during Majors. Even this year, I didn't really catch too much of it until Tiger's late Sunday afternoon charge. And, of course, the one Monday I have to work just happens to be the US Open playoff. But I still managed to catch quite a bit of it in our break room at work. What an intriguing battle. Glad I could watch. Shame Tiger's pulling out for the rest of the year with a bum knee.

It's a good thing he won the tournament, so he's got the cash to pay the doctors... :)



No comments: