Tuesday, August 26, 2008

on John 10:2-4

Note: I'm currently reading through a 30-day devotional book called The Art Of Listening Prayer, by Seth Barnes. True to form for me, the 30 days so far have not been consecutive, but I'm trying! Anyway, through this devotional I'm learning more about what true conversation with God really is, and how to still ourselves to hear His Voice. It's not an easy thing for me--in fact, I confess that I'm struggling with the concept. As I wrote in my journal this morning, I understand the mechanics behind God's actual speaking, but I struggle with the trust and patience required to actually hear Him. Still, He is teaching me amazing things so far...and I'm recognizing that listening really is an art to be practiced.

This first post is an entry from my journal. I will follow with others as I am on this journey. As always, thanks for reading.


"...a shepherd enters through the gate. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they recognize his voice."

Sheep don't understand English (I don't think), so it's impossible for them to know what the shepherd is saying. So, how do they "recognize" his voice? They know the tone, the inflection, the volume, the accent of the one speaking. They know all this intimately from spending time with him. Out in the wilderness, with no one around, no distractions, no noise, the shepherd's voice becomes clear and loud. They can't help but listen. Through weeks, months, even years of listening to his voice, the sheep know their shepherd.

Although we may not always audibly "hear" God speak (in fact, this is a rare occasion), we recognize His voice--the tone, the inflection, the volume, the accent--by spending time with Him. Like anything, the more time we devote to this, the better we hear. Simple things, such as a gentle prodding, a "feeling", a stirring in our soul, even circumstances that align themselves in such a manner that we sense His shouting at us--these are all actually God speaking! And though we don't always hear the actual words, His voice leads us! The questions for me, for us is: Will we follow?

No comments: